Hubris (n.): Hubris is an overwhelming pride…an often fatal overestimation of one’s ability to navigate one’s own complex circumstances. Hubris is often worsened by an underestimation of the circumstances themselves
Tragedy (n.): A tragedy is the downfall of a good or great person, usually a man, due to his own hubris and lack of self-knowledge.
Individual writing portion. Construct a written essay on your choice of one of the following two topics.
1. Considering our definition of tragedy, evaluate the character of Oedipus as a tragic figure.
2. Analyze Sophocles’ use of sight and blindness in Oedipus the King
Group collaboration portion: Oedipus The King movie trailer.
The context: Your group is in charge of creating a two minute (+ or -) film trailer to promote a major film production of “Oedipus the King”. For this project you are professional creative filmmakers. The studio promoting the film, Corinthian Pictures, has asked for multiple versions of the trailer from various groups like yours. But only one will be chosen as the final version to be distributed.
A successful trailer does the following to a maximum effect…
- Displays a deeper, more explicit knowledge of the story
- expresses the tragic nature of the original play
- expresses the concepts of blindness and sight
- incorporates actual dialoge from the play (spoken or in writing)
- Uses music and images to increase audience interest
- Is composed of original footage
- Reflects time and effort in a cohesive, comprehensible product
The goal is to create the finest trailer, using the points above, and put other groups to shame with your awesomeness.
DATES AND STUFF…
Rough draft of essay, printed and complete, due for peer edit and review TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 17 in WEEK SIX. This will be worth five points. If you don’t have it printed, stapled, ready to go at he start of class = 0 points. General writing rubric applies. Due final = the 18th
Video trailer date will be in WEEK SEVEN. The date to submit is THURSDAY THE 26th.
Wednesday/Thursday week 6 = Planning. It is necessary that groups begin the filming process knowing their plan, you should map out exactly whats going to happen and who’s doing what BEFORE you jump in.
Friday week 6, Monday and Tuesday week 7 = class days to work on the project, edit, get things straight.