A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer takes place in recent times. It is about one girl’s struggle to find a better life in Africa. In many ways it will remind you of The Kite Rider, but in many ways it is different.
We will keep writing journals like we did with Kite Rider. The same guidelines apply:
- complete sentences
- direct examples
- details and quotes from the actual book.
- 1/2 page minimum
- Record new vocabulary
You will be writing a responsive essay about the book, and your journaling will be a basis to help you. here is the wiki link http://girlnameddisaster.wikispaces.com/
Thursday Jan. 12
Review Reading through Chapter 8
GOAL: Journal topics for up through chapter 8 – for response in class Thursday the 12th :
- What kind of girl is Nhamo so far? Who she is, not what she does. How is she characterized?
- What seem to be her greatest obstacles or disadvantages?
- Describe the similarities you see between Nhamo and Haoyou?
For Friday, be through Chapter 12.
Monday – We are through Chapter 15. Goal for Wednesday: Be to the end of Chapter 22. Journal topic response
- What role does the spirit world/supernatural have in Nhamo’s Journey?
- For Nhamo, In what ways does nature seem like an enemy? Are there any ways it could be considered an ally?
Wednesday – We are (mostly) through chapter 22.
Goal #1 for end of week is to be through chapter 32.
Goal # 2 for end of week is to create your own book review and respond to at lest one book review on Goodreads.com
Here is the place to sign up and become a user:
Here is the page for A Girl Named Disaster: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/133775.A_Girl_Named_Disaster
Tuesday 1/24. Please be to the end of the book before Thursday. If you are finished, good. here is the last reflective journal;
- Contrast the character of Nhamo at the beginning of the novel with Nhamo at the end of the novel. How has she transformed?