12DP B Interactive Oral Activity 2
You are a member of a team who will debate against another team. You will debate only one topic. The topics for this debate are:
“The book and movie “Eat Pray Love” have been the best things to ever happen to Bali”
“A woman’s life is more difficult than a man’s life”
INSTRUCTIONS – Preparation – 4 teams.
- With the other members of your team, decide on:
- · the reasons for supporting or refuting this claim (you need at least two strong reasons per speaker)
- · the order of speakers (Who will speak first? Who will speak last?)
- anticipating the possible points that your opposition might make (the counter argument) and being prepared to refute them
- · what your individual responsibilities are in preparing for the debate (research, writing and learning your part of the argument)
INSTRUCTIONS – Participation in the Debate
- You must speak at least THREE TIMES during the debate:
- Your arguments for supporting or opposing the topic (Aim to speak for 4-5 minutes);
- Rebuttal comments about the opposing previous speaker’s argument (unless you’re the first speaker for your team); (aim to speak for 2-3 minutes)
- A ‘Point of Order’ where you can support another team member and strengthen the team argument by adding a further explanation or example or rebuttal.
- You are allowed cue cards but no bigger than hand size. You will be seated.
- You are allowed to make rebuttal notes while the opposing team is speaking.
- Your personal total time for speaking should be 6-8 minutes.
Nov. 7, 8, 10, 11 – Team planning, brainstorming, development of argument, researching for evidence, writing speeches, rehearsing. Debate happens on Nov. 14
Put your position and names of members in the comments section. Should be FOUR comments.