Y11-IP Term 1 Assessment 1
Front Page News Article
- To demonstrate comprehension of specific factual information and attitudes, expressed in a written context.
- To understand and appropriately use structures and vocabulary
Your task is to write a front-page news article for today’s edition of the Jakarta Post. Imagine there has been a major event at Sekolah Ciputra (a discovery, a disaster, a newsworthy event or a victory of some kind). You are responsible for Writing a 500-word (approx.) article from a particular angle that reports on a particular event, fictional or otherwise.
- You will be assessed for development of ideas; organisation, style and use of formal language.
- You will be given 2 periods to write the article, and 1 period to publish it on the computer. It will be due on Friday 8/12, end of class.
You MUST include the following elements:
- An eye-catching headline that reflects your angle – by using strong vocabulary and/or alliteration (the use of words that begin with similar consonants), and not many words. Follow the rules we studied for headline making.
- The 5W’s and the How
- The correct structure for a news article (inverted pyramid) Important things first, interesting (but not crucial) things last.
- Direct speech (someone else’s words apart from the reporter). For example, a quote from a witness, an authority, or one of the people involved.
- A story related photo (yours, not from internet) with caption.
- A byline (that’s who wrote the piece…your name and position) between the headline and the beginning of the story
- When publishing, layout your article in columns, with a headline, photo, and caption. You can take a photo yourself of the “scene” and use it for your article (just a suggestion)
WARNING/ADVICE: This is a story you create. That means you choose the topic. It may be fictional but it must be school related. Create a story from a topic you think you will enjoy writing about. Write stories and include photos that you would not be embarrassed to show to your mother or father or school principal. If you don’t think you could share you topic and story with these people, then you need to change it. Stay clean and do not offend.
These will be published DIGITALLY. Stay tuned for details on that
Please state your name and chosen topic in the comments section