Captions INFORM ABOUT, EXPLAIN, ENTERTAIN and GIVE CONTEXT TO A PHOTO. It’s almost like a tiny story that fits the photo.
A caption does the folowing;
- Identify any people in the photo. Identifications should include first and last names and why the person is important.
- Tell where the photo is taken
- include the date, or at least the general time frame.
- Detail the event, if there is one, and briefly explain why this photo is important.
- Make the caption easy to read. Break the caption into more than one sentence if necessary.
Here are the facts:
- Segway tour guide: Jackie Dobs (WHO)
- Other tourists riders: Jane Doe, Jenny Deer, Julia Dens (WHO)
- Rattlesnake Bridge in Midtown, Tucson, Arizona. (WHERE)
- Last week (WHEN)
- Additional info: Segways make it easy to get around. (WHAT/WHY)
- Additional info: Petrol is expensive but Segways are electric. (WHAT/WHY)
Full CAPTION GUIDE
Make captions for the four news photos below. You may have to use your imagination and make up some of the W’s.