PITCH A FANTASY WORLD TO A MOVIE STUDIO
- Compose pieces that apply age-appropriate literary and/or non-literary features to serve the context and intention (4)
- Use language to narrate, describe, explain, argue, persuade, inform, entertain and express feelings (10)
- Use appropriate and varied register, vocabulary, and idiom (12)
Fantasy films such as the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings series have become very popular. You would like to have a film made based on a world you have created. You have arranged to give a presentation to a major Hollywood studio, hoping they will turn your idea into a major film and pay you a lot of $$$ and probably make you quite famous. You need to deliver a convincing oral presentation, with visuals, which describes your fantasy world to the studio executives.
- You will make a four minutes presentation about your fantasy country using power point. Please have between 6 and 10 slides.
- Your presentation must include the following:
- Title Page: the name and flag/flags of your world
- A map of your country, and an explanation of the geography and the natural resources.
- A description of at least one magical creature or group of creatures living in your world
- A description of at least one magical object or objects existing in your world
- A description of your world’ greatest hero and it’s most evil villain.
- A description of how good and evil forces come into conflict in your fantasy world
- You will be given four class periods to construct your ideas and presentation, asa well as practice your speaking skills. You can also work on your presentation at home.
- Presentations will begin on Wednesday 10th August.
- You have to be ready when it is your turn to present, otherwise you will not be assessed.
- This assessment sheet must be handed in before you begin your presentation. No assessment sheet, no mark.
Use a minimum of words on the screen; One sentence or less.
Avoid overuse of bullet points.
Speak from your mind and your knowledge (don’t read the screen!)
don’t block the screen with your body.
Keep images interesting, and be able to explain them to the producers (your audience!)
You will not use notes
This task will be assessed using criterion A (Content) and C (Style and Language Mechanics).
|Criterion A: Content (receptive and productive)How well can the student:
||Criterion C: Style and language mechanicsHow well can the student:
|AL||Level descriptor||AL||Level descriptor|
|0||The student does not reach a standard described by any of the descriptors below.||0||The student does not reach a standard described by any of the descriptors below.|
|NotesIn creative work, students need to use their imagination to describe a fantasy world which includes landscape, natural resources and fantasy creatures. Ideas must be original.||NotesStudents must use varied vocabulary and sentence structure.Oratory techniques include pronunciation, intonation, tone, inflection, pace, pausing, volume, body language, gesture, and eye contact.|