Where does news come from?
Who decides what is and is not news?
Necessary words and terms:
- Breaking news –
- 24 hour news cycle –
- Wire service –
- Angle –
- Lead story –
- Headline –
- The five W’s –
- Scoop –
- reporter vs. correspondent –
- Hard news and soft news (see below)
hard and soft news <—(CLICK)
Angle choices (for handout). these are ways of looking at a story. There is always more than one way to approach the story.
- The possibility of arson
- Fire leads to spill….chemical contamination of the local river
- Firefighters risking their lives to battle the blaze.
- The miraculous survival of the church next door.
- The tragic loss of rare paintings in the fire