Year 12 Photo Essay
WOMEN OF SURABAYA
Through Our Eyes
In groups of three or four, students will produce a Photo Essay in a digital format, using a range of photographs depicting women in Surabaya. Each photo will have a corresponding fully detailed paragraph describing that particular woman. The women you find must be from outside your home and outside our school community. Not teachers, not staff, not security, not grounds workers, nobody that lives or works in your home.
Each student is to be responsible for a MINIMUM of 3 photos and paragraphs.
Paragraphs should contain SOME OR ALL of the following information, where relevant:
– Who is your subject?
– What is her occupation?
– What training and/ skills does she have?
– What are her hours and conditions of work?
– What other tasks does she do for that job?
– What other duties might she have outside her occupation?
– Is she self-employed or does she work for a salary/ wage?
– What is her approximate income?
– What does she do for leisure/relaxation
– Comment on the setting (place and time of interview), her clothing, her working environment, her fellow workers etc.
– Personal comments/ ideas about this woman and her occupation.
Make sure you vary your paragraphs. Use a different structure for each. Take multiple photos of each woman, then choose the best later.
Start at different places – ask yourself, “What is the most striking feature of this photo?”
Perhaps it is your subject’s clothing, the environment or the task she is doing.
You may begin by asking a rhetorical question, or make a personal observation first.
- “How would you like to work 18 hours every day for only 10,000 rupiahs? And that is on a good day.”
- “She always wears long sleeved tops and full length trousers, even though she works outside all day in the heat of the Surabaya’s sun. In fact, it is because she is exposed to the sun all day that she wears these clothes, to protect her skin from burning.”
Edit and check your work: tenses, subject-verb agreement, plurals, articles, prepositions.
Become a critical reader.
Recommended applications; MovieMaker for Windows or iMovie on the Mac. Powerpoint
Due: 10 December 2010
These are great examples of Photoessays: