Y12IP WOMEN’S ISSUES
<<<magazine, newspaper, digital or print ARTICLES. For week 5, 11/8-11/12>>>
- Students work in male/female pairs if possible.
- Each pair has its own newspaper article. The article has length and substance and deals with a meaningful, contemporary issue affecting women or girls: Think of health, politics, rights, economics, family, society.
To be completed by each pair:
- What is the title of your article?
- Where in the world is your article based?
- What is the main issue addressed in the article?
- Summarize your article in 30 words or less.
- What Point-of-View or attitude does the writer show in this article?(positive/ negative/ sympathetic/ angry/ impressed/ amazed/ surprised/ favorable/ unfavorable/ impassioned/ uncertain/ objective/ neutral…) Give evidence from the text to support your decision.
On a separate sheet of paper, each pair will create some questions and vocabulary activities for ANOTHER pair to answer. (NB: Each pair of students must keep its OWN copy of the questions and answers.)
- Highlight 10 key words or expressions from your article. Then write each word in a list for another pair to find the meanings from the context.
- (NB: Make sure you keep a copy of your Vocabulary List and your OWN meanings!)
- Devise 10 questions (requiring non “yes or no” answers) based on your article. Keep your questions in logical order from the text, beginning to end.
- (NB: Make sure you keep a copy of your Text-Based Questions and your OWN answers!)
- Exchange the Newspaper Article, Vocabulary List & Text-Based Questions with another pair of students.
- Read the new article, find the meanings of the words in the list and answer the questions from the article – in writing.
- Regroup into groups of four (2×2) to check and discuss your answers.
- If you disagree, find evidence from the text to support your opinion. You are aiming for a consensus, i.e. all four students agree.
If you still disagree, call in the referee; MR TERRANCE or some other smart adult!