Here are some excellent issues about the environment in Indonesia. You can use one of these, or you can find another if you like.
- Reef destruction
- Deforestation (especially rain forest) to clear land for palm plantations
- Illegal logging of teak etc.
- Pollution: air, water, land
- Endangered animals: Javan Rhino, Sumatran Tiger, Sumatran Rhino, Orangutans,
- Animal trafficking
- Animal sports
- Bottom trawling for shrimp
- Cyanide and blast fishing on coral reefs
- Natural disasters caused by human activity: landslides, Lapindo, flooding, severe droughts, forest fires.
- Mining (gold, copper, sulpher etc.)
- Making small islands into tourist destinations
Key Terms for This Unit, this term.
Responsibility – Something for which a person is responsible: looking after a person or thing.
Communicate – Pass on news, information etc to other people.
Affect – To have an effect on something or someone eg “It affects Indonesia”
Issue – A subject for discussion or concern, a problem.
Cause – something that makes something happen. Eg “What’s the cause of the reef dying?”
Effect – The change produced by an action or cause. Eg “The effect of the reef dying is that the fish have no home and die too.”
Solution – The answer to a problem.
Educate – Make people aware of the issue.