12IP ASSESSMENT TASK TERM 1
Novel Study – Visual & Oral Presentation.
In novel groups, prepare a presentation for the class based on the aspects of culture listed below.
Each student within the group is responsible for preparing and presenting ONE of the aspects.
Each student must present their findings on 2-4 Power Point slides and also submit detailed supporting notes (attached to PP) for assessment.
Each studentwill speak for 3 – 4 minutes about their particular cultural aspect from their novel.
You will be assessed using criteria A (content), B (organization) and C (language/oral)
PREPARATION FOR PRESENTATION:
- Begin by identifying your novel, author and your chosen cultural aspect.
- For Cultural Aspects 1 – 4:
- Find a minimum of 6 quotes (from dialogue or descriptive passages) which illustrate your cultural aspect.
- Each quote will need an explanation to show its relevance to your cultural aspect.
- For the visual representation of your analysis/explanation (Power Point Slide) you could produce a scale, graph or pictures which will support your oral explanation.
- What are the different ethnic groups in your novel – how do you know?
- What is the significance of their ethnicity to each of the main characters?
2. Heritage/traditions/beliefs/cultural artifacts
- What are the significant aspects of this topic in your novel – how do you know?
- How important are these for the main characters?
3. Prejudice/racism/ethnocentrism/cultural stereotyping/culture clash
- What kinds of these are found in your novel – how do you know?
- What impact do these have on the characters and the story?
- What culturally specific language is used in your novel?
- How and why is it used?
5. Intercultural relationships (Background Research)
Identify the different cultures explored in your novel
- What is the historical relationship between these groups?
- Have these relationships/attitudes have changed over time?(from the time of the novel setting to the present day)
- If so, how? If not, why not?